How many of you guys grew up seeing this in your kitchen?
- At Costco, we would split a $0.59 Coke between the 4 of us. Gotta take advantage of those free refills!
- I never knew what hot dog or hamburger buns were growing up. We used regular ass sandwich bread.
- Reusing glass peanut butter and jam jars as drinking glasses (this was before the hipster mason jar trend)
Money forced them to be creative with everyday items. It’s probably one of the reasons why I don’t give a fuck about materialistic things and I’m unbelievably grateful for that.
A lot of people don’t know the difference between being cheap and frugal.
- Being frugal is prioritizing your spending so you can spend on the things you love. Looking back twenty years later, I never felt like I was missing out.
- Being cheap is about spending less… by any means necessary.
So today I wanted to talk about why being cheap will never get you rich and will fuck you over. Here is 3 reasons why…
The world hates cheap ass people!
There’s only so much you can save
- It pisses off your cashier. Trust me they hate you for this.
- Every Sunday, you’ll buy like 10 newspapers just for the coupon inserts.
- You spend hours looking for deals… all for what? Just to save a few dollars. Bad ROI in my opinion.
- You can try to make that $10 feel like $50
- … or you can actually make more money.
When was the last time you heard someone getting rich off extreme couponing? Yea me neither.
Money is to be enjoyed, not to be hoarded.
“To live poor and die poor is a tragedy. But to live poor and die rich is insanity.” -Robert Kiyosaki
One of the reasons why I went into pharmacy was because I didn’t want to be broke. Money seemed like the solution to everything when I was in high school deciding my career. Hungry? Money can buy food. Horny? Money can buy the mudda sexy time. Bored? Money can buy you a plane trip around the world.
What got you here, won’t get you there -Marshall Goldsmith
The thing I learned from my dad was that being cheap makes it hard to see the value in things. Instead of focusing on making more money, an abundance mentality, you’re so focus on fighting for scraps AKA a scarcity mentality.
It’s like living in an episode of The Walking Dead.
So take today as an opportunity to break out of that “cheap” mentality. Start investing in people, focus on building assets, and remember why you’re hustling for money. What sort of “cheap” habits are you trying to break? Let me know in the comments!