I was 17 in high school and people were asking…
What do you want to do for the rest of your life?
This is a pretty scary question. I mean shit. A few years ago, my balls just dropped and not too long before that all I wanted to do was play Pokemon. How would I know?
And I get it. It’s overwhelming… and your not alone. Sometimes even I’m still wondering, what I want to do for the rest of my life.
But when I got this question from Valacio on YouTube, I thought it could help the rest of you guys out. How many of you guys have been in Valacio’s situation?
Here’s how I would do it within an hour.
It’s not the sexy solution but here we go.
- Look around you. Who are the top 10 people around you that are happiest with their career and why?
- Contact them. See why they’re happy and why they love what they do.
- Find something interesting? Great. Use YouTube, read the top books on Amazon, and go on Reddit. We’re doing research before going balls deep. Although things like quality of life and how money you make are important… you should focus on your why. No idea what I’m talking about?Watch this video.
- Take people out to coffee. Contact more people and the specifics about the career. You can see if the things that you read online are true or the lesser unknowns. The more people you talk to, the more opportunities it opens for you like meeting new people or maybe even a internship.
- Didn’t find anything? Start over. Find more people. Start wandering a bookstore and see what you’re interested in. Think about what you liked doing when you were a kid. You might not find it with the first try… but this is a system. We’re seeing what sticks and seeing what doesn’t work… all without dropping thousands of dollars.
- Start planning. Either take a year off and plan what you’re going to do within that year OR drop money and go to pharmacy school. The most important thing you need to do is plan. You’re not going to cross your fingers, wait passively, and hope that inspiration will hit you. Give yourself a specific measurable goal and time frame. Why are you doing this?
- If you’re going to take time off, don’t fuck around. Figure out how you’re going to find a career you’ll be happy with. What sort of projects do you want to help out with? What books are you going to read? Who do you want to talk to? What courses do you want to take? What is your timeline?
- If you’re going to school, you want to figure why you’re going. Are you doing it for money? If so, what do you want to use that money towards? What is your plan after school?
At the end of the day, no one can answer whether you should go or not… That’s something you need to decide. It’s a scary decision, but wanna know what’s scarier?
Doing nothing and regretting it. We see it all around us. Older people saying… Oh I should of done this. We might pop out kids or we might need to take care of our parents. Life gets harder as we get older.
What other questions do you have for us?
Shoot us an email at email@example.com or leave comment below. And as always sign up for our mailing list.