In the span of 3 years, I literally went from being strangers with Joe to roommates.
The first time I met Joe was back in 2011 at Northeastern University in Boston. Home to the Celtics, Bruins, Patriots, and “Bahhhstan Clam Chowdahh”.
Like many JK fans, I was drawn to the Unco skits. Fuck. I even had the Unco’s Gangsta Life Party as my ringtone.
I watched their show, bought their merch, and literally had a 1 minute conversation. At the time, I thought that would be the extent of our interaction.
They lived across the country and had so many fans talking to them… why would they talk to me? It just wasn’t possible to EVER connect 1 on 1 with them… at least that’s what I believed.
Fast forward four years later. I never thought I would be LIVING with Joe in LA.
At the time of this writing JK films has 1,137,319 subscribers.
Think about that. Assuming every single subscriber had the same chance to live with Joe, I had a 0.00008% chance of making this happen.
To put things in perspective, I basically have the same chance of being struck by lightning (1 in 1,107,143 people). Lucky mudah eshole.
Many of you guys might say “Oh Kevin, you just got lucky”. You’re definitely right. But here’s the thing… I allowed myself to BECOME lucky by changing my environment.
If I stayed in Boston…
I wouldn’t of been able to surround myself with people who inspired or challenged me. Hitting that plateau was a major reason why I moved to LA.
Because of that feeling, I wanted to flip my world. I joined Barbell Brigade and took dance classes from Can, who is also my current roommate.
I still remember chatting with Joe between our workout sets. We would chat about everything from entrepreneurship to creating our ideal lifestyle. If I still lived in Boston, I wouldn’t of had that chance.
I’m not that much different than you guys. I’m not a YouTube celebrity. I went to school and currently work a typical 9-5 lifestyle that many of you guys currently grind out. I’m just like you. If I can do it, you guys can too.
This is exactly what this post is about today. Rather than accepting your “fate”, its important to look at what you can control and take action. Allow yourself to become lucky.
Here’s my SPECIFIC challenge to you guys.
Brainstorm 5-10 ideas that will help you get “lucky”. Make it fun and creative. The point of this isn’t to get the “perfect” idea, but to get some momentum.
Post them down in the comment section. I’m really excited to hear some of your responses. You can also email us at email@example.com
Kevin the Refugee
ABOUT KEVIN YEE
This article was written by Kevin Yee and posted at RefugeeHustle.com. To get posts like this delivered once a week, for free in your inbox click here to automatically subscribe.
1. Earn enough to get an Internship in the states or UK.
2. Challenge myself to sell my paintings and probably get known from that? Haha cause in my country barely anyone does this
3. Not be afraid or too lazy to meet new people
4. Draw a portrait of Joe to get lucky hahaha
5. Start helping poor people and probably start getting friends of ppl who are close to start off with me later? Lol
1. Get to sleep by 11 on week days.
2. Keep my apartment clutter free
3. isten to motivational/entrepreneurship/self-improvement audio books for 30 minutes a day
4. Put myself in new situations where I will meet more people
5. Follow Refugeehustle 🙂
6. After work don’t sit down until I’ve done my workout. Once my butt hits that chair or bed I’m done for
7. Try not to dwell on past mistakes but focus on the future and accomplishing my goals.
Great stuff Eric. A lot of those things are things that I’m constantly working on as well… Especially the sleeping on time one 🙂
Have you made progress on doing any of these yet? It’s cool if you haven’t too. Just take one step at a time. In the future, we’ll be posting on how to actually implement.
1. Get a college degree
2. Go to sleep earlier (before midnight) so I can wake up earlier and be more productive throughout the day.
3. Get a job (that i’m happy with)
4. Try to meet new people/ leave the house more
5. live a healthier lifestyle